What Is a Dog Collar and How to Choose the Best Collar for My Pet
What is a dog collar? The collar is a must-have accessory for every dog. However, do you need to take off the collar when you have already returned from a walk? According to statistics, the risk that your pet can harm itself because of the collar is about 15%, so it is better to take it off when you are at home. Even the softest accessory can cause tangles and further coat problems. Dog collar styles can be compared to women’s handbags because there can be more than one, and you can choose which collar your dog would wear today. In our article, you will find out what types of dog collars exist and how to choose the right accessory.
How to Choose the Best One Among Different Types of Dog Collars?
External characteristics such as color and different decorative elements are far from the main criteria. What to look for first?
- Pay attention to the size and thickness of the product, for example, thin models should not be purchased for large breed dogs.
- The model must be made of safe material. It is better to choose a leather collar for a dog, and soft leather models are suitable for long-haired dogs.
- When your puppy is growing rapidly, it is not necessary to buy a collar every month because you can buy inexpensive but durable nylon kinds of dog collars.
- Choose a quality stainless-steel clasp, as moisture would corrode iron.
- If you are looking for a reliable dog collar that would last for a long time, you need to buy a good leather collar. Some manufacturers not only use carefully selected materials but also strengthen the structure with various know-how.
- Models with jewelry are very popular, and the leaders among them are collars with rhinestones. If you want to choose such a collar, be sure to pay attention to their attachment type. It is better not to purchase a model with rhinestones on glue, because they would quickly be lost.
Popular Dog Collars and Harnesses
There are many types of dog collars and their purpose, material, and size may differ. In order for the collar to perform its functions correctly, you should take into account all the nuances when choosing it, analyze the general features of the main types.
The most elementary walking accessory is the best type of collar for dogs. When you choose such one, pay attention to the following criteria:
- It should be leather, synthetic, or combined material;
- The iron crescent should be fixed in the middle of the tape because it allows the dog to freely move its head.
- For large breeds, you can purchase a collar with an additional handle, which is comfortable enough for both the owner and the pet.
- A guard collar is also referred to as walking. It is used for dogs that are continuously on a leash, because it is more durable, and its main feature can be considered a non-standard design.
Metal Prong Collar
It is one of the most popular types of dog training collars for large breeds. Prong Collar is a metal or leather belt with spikes on the inside. The length of the teeth should be chosen based on the length of the coat – if the coat is short, the teeth will be smaller. So you would not harm the animal but only discipline it.
Chain Slip Collar
Chain Slip is also one of the types of dog training collars, which help to train and correct pet behavior. It is not used every day, and not every dog needs it. With a sudden movement of the animal, such a collar is tightened and makes it stop. Metal chains are effective in correcting behavior because they can cause some discomfort in the animal, but you must be careful and always consult a dog handler before using any training collar.
It is one of the safest types of dog collars, which looks like a muzzle. Halter backs are designed to help dogs walk on leashes and heels. When the dog pulls on the leash, the halter turns its head. When used correctly, this collar can be helpful in other training as well. The headgear should not be left unattended on dogs or worn for long periods of time.
Dog Show Collars
There are many nuances when you use collars for dog shows, such as the combination of the color of it and the dog’s coat, etc. A correctly selected collar should correspond not only to aesthetic parameters, but also to provide comfort in use to the owner and pet.
As for the aesthetic characteristics:
- If the color of the collar is not matched the dog’s coat, the jury can give some penalties;
- It is selected according to the size of the dog;
- The show collar should not visually lengthen or shorten the pet’s neck. Depending on the individual structure of the pet’s neck, a reference point is chosen for a certain type of ammunition. For a dog with a long neck, it is advisable to choose a collar with narrow front and wide back sections. If your four-legged friend is a dog with a short muzzle, then a harness is better to avoid air blockage.
The harness is designed to fit around the dog’s chest and abdomen, passing over the back, and to the top of it can be attached a leash. A lot of dog owners like to use a harness instead of a collar. It doesn’t put pressure on the neck, that is why It is a great option for pets with a tendency to pull, and if your pet has some respiratory problems, your veterinarian can also advise it. Many trainers believe that the harness would only stimulate the training process. Of course, we have not described all types of dog collars for walking, training, and shows, but the most popular and those that have earned trust among experienced dog handlers and owners. What collar do you like the most? Share in the comments!
- Are a dog owner is happy? Yes you are!
- You didn't like it? What we missed here?