What Is a Rawhide Bone and Why It Can Be Dangerous for My Dog
How do you think are rawhide bones a good choice for your dog, and does it like it? According to statistics, many dogs love these treats. This love of chewing, in general, can be attributed to several factors:
- This is due to the instinct of chewing when the pet needs to satisfy the desire to bite something;
- In this way, the pet wants to attract your attention;
- It can also be the dog’s reaction to stress or anxiety.
Can dogs digest rawhide bones? They can, but it’s not easy at all, which is why large chunks of crushed and swallowed skin pose such a high risk of clogging. Any food your dog swallows must pass through its digestive system in chunks because they won’t break down like other foods.
What Is a Rawhide Bone?
Rawhide is an animal hide that has not been tanned. The inner layer of leather is mainly used to chew on rawhide for dogs, and the top layer is usually used to make fashion accessories. Most dog chews are mostly made from beef skins, but you can also find products made from pigskin and buffalo skins. Should puppies have rawhide? Puppies may try rawhide if the veterinarian recommends it, but no earlier than 6 months of age. Compared to other chewable products, rawhide can be cheaper and more durable, and its flavor is a favorite of all dog breeds. This natural product comes in many traditional shapes and sizes.
How Are Rawhide Bones Made?
Outside the US, rawhide usually starts with a special chemical bath, which can help preserve the original properties of the goods during long-term transportation. In most cases in the United States, it is shipped in refrigerated containers to prevent spoilage. In other words, if you want to import them, you should use special equipment because they are likely to contain additional doses of chemicals. During processing, it is first soaked in a gray alkali solution to remove hair and grease. It can then be cleaned with water or hydrogen peroxide, or bleach. In some regions, arsenic or even formaldehyde is used in this process, but both are banned in the USA. After all, it’s either natural or smoky, with the addition of other artificial flavors that make your dog chew for hours.
Rawhide Bones: Is It Dangerous or Safe to Chew?
Experts are divided over the benefits and harms of rawhide treats, but they agree on some common positive and negative aspects. You need to know them so as not to harm your pet, and not provoke serious diseases associated with the digestive system and others.
Why Is Rawhide Dangerous for Dogs?
Based on your dog’s chewing needs and behavior, weigh the risks and benefits of using the hide. Among the most common are:
- Chewable rawhide hides can contain some toxic chemicals. Even people can be at risk when they come into contact with these bacteria in rawhide snacks.
- Some dogs are allergic to it, and it can cause diarrhea.
- Rawhide bones and other edible chews can cause choking and blockages. In fact, this is a greater risk than environmental pollution or irritation of the digestive system. If your pet swallows a large piece of rawhide, it can be lodged in the different parts of the digestive tract. Then you need to contact your vet immediately. And they can easily remove it through the throat. But sometimes abdominal surgery is required to remove them from the stomach or intestines. If you don’t treat your dog, it can be fatal for an animal.
Are Rawhide Bones Safe for Dogs?
- Raw skin bones can easily satisfy your pet’s need for vigorous chewing;
- When used correctly, they are very good at cleaning dogs’ teeth;
- Provide your dog with relatively cheap treats.
- Is natural rawhide bad for dogs? It’s hard to find a 100% safe remedy for our four-legged friends. Rawhide has many risks, so be sure to check with your veterinarian before giving this to your pet. Only a specialist would be able to give an answer whether it is good or bad it would affect the dog.
- How long does rawhide take to digest in a dog? It usually takes 3-5 days for full digestion. So as you may guess, it is a difficult process, and can even need more days for it.
- How often can dogs have rawhide bones? Opinions were divided: some believe that they should be given every day, others – 1-2 times a week. Due to the answer to the previous question, we are more inclined towards the second option. In any case, it’s best to check with your veterinarian because your dog’s health and age can affect this.
We are confident that your dog would like it better when you alternate between different snacks, rather than constantly giving one. Pay attention to the season – frozen treats in summer or meat in winter. But we advise you to more often give preference to those that promote oral care. How do you help your dogs care for their teeth? Share in the comments!
- Are a dog owner is happy? Yes you are!
- You didn't like it? What we missed here?