National Dog Day: History and Ways to Celebrate It
What is National Dog Day? This is a holiday that does not pay attention to the breed of the dog. On this day, the owners of all breeds, mixes, mongrels, etc. can join the celebration. After all, it does not matter what pedigree your pet has, it would show love and devotion to you. A good friend next to us fills our hearts with happiness and kindness. You do not need to Google “national dog day date”. In our article, you will find out all answers: history, date, and celebration.
National Dog Day: History
It is a well-known fact that dogs are our best friends. Therefore, they have long deserved their holiday. Anyone with a dog can join the celebration and help someone finds a new friend. However, what is the history of this day? Colleen Paige is considered to be the ideological founder. This expert and dog advocate wanted to draw people’s attention to dogs that were in shelters. In 2004, she did it. When is Dog Day? It’s August 26th. This date was chosen for a reason. In 1994, the Colleen family adopted a dog and named it Sheltie. Every year the holiday expanded its boundaries and in 2013 was recognized as an official at the legislative level in the state of New York (USA).
People and different organizations have come together to attract as many people as possible to the mission of rescuing dogs from shelters. More than 1 million dogs have been rescued in 17 years. Those who already have pets can share their happy experiences and pamper their pets. After all, our connection with these wonderful animals has been established long ago. They play an important role — help law enforcement agencies and people in need. On August 26th, National Dog Day is reported annually in the media. Whether you decide to volunteer at a shelter, make a donation to it, or please a four-legged friend, it is important to recognize the value of the dog and the Dog Day.
How to Celebrate National Dog Day 2021?
There are many ways to celebrate Dog Day. The best of them is to adopt a dog. However, if for some reason you are unable to do this step, check out other options.
- Volunteer for a day at a dog shelter. Even a few hours of help would be a significant investment.
- Donate to a shelter or any other charity.
- You can organize a fundraiser to help dogs. This is not so difficult to do. You can sell free baked goods or organize a sale of items you no longer need. And donate the proceeds to a charitable foundation.
- Donations can be more than just money. You can donate food, toys, or dog hygiene products to the shelter.
- Spend the day with your pet. Visit one of the dog parks and treat your friend with delicious cold treats.
- Watch an interesting movie about dogs.
- Don’t forget to take cool photos and videos and post them on social media. You will be able to attract as many people as possible to the celebration and share your impressions.
Millions of dogs need protection and love. And if you can somehow improve their lives, be sure to do it. Do not waste time and now Google the nearest shelter and find out what kind of help they need. Perhaps there you would become attached to one of the wards and find a new friend. Don’t forget to join the celebration. Have a Happy Dog Day!
- Are a dog owner is happy? Yes you are!
- You didn't like it? What we missed here?