You Can Make Your Own Dog Food: Look at Its Benefits and 5 Best Well-Balanced Recipes
Can you make your own dog food? Of course, you can. We recently discussed the best dog-frozen food with you. However, now it’s time to tell you some useful recipes that your four-legged friend will definitely like. Dogs have fewer taste buds than humans, but they can distinguish between sweet, salty, sour, and bitter tastes. By the way, a dog’s taste buds are located in the larynx. Home-cooked dog meals can help strengthen the psychological bond with your pet. Today, we will tell you about:
- Homemade food benefits;
- Ingredients that work best for cooking;
- Balanced home-cooked dog food recipes.
What Are the Benefits of Nutritious Homemade Dog Food?
It would seem that the AAFCO should control what ingredients are used by feed manufacturers. Unfortunately, AAFCO doesn’t do this. Therefore, many feeds do not meet the declared quality. That is why dog food homemade become more popular. However, does it have some other benefits?
- By choosing the ingredients yourself, you can be sure of their quality and the correct proportion in the dish.
- You can ensure the presence of all the essential amino acids that dogs cannot synthesize. It leads to an improvement in the dog’s well-being.
- Homemade food is easier to digest. It means that nutrients can be absorbed more efficiently and can help avoid gastrointestinal problems such as dog constipation and diarrhea.
- Making your own dog food can be fun. The main thing is not to forget that it should be complete and varied.
What to Put in Homemade Dog Food?
When you choose ingredients, you should pay attention to whether they have the nutrients your dog needs. For example:
- Fats. They help the dog to facilitate the absorption of other nutrients and minerals. They have been shown to protect internal organs as well. However, attention should be paid to unsaturated fats. In particular, dogs need unsaturated fats. If you give saturated fats, they can cause heart problems.
- Protein. Dogs are active animals, so they need a lot of protein. They aid in the growth and maintenance of cells, tissues, and organs. However, too much meat can be unhealthy due to its high cholesterol and saturated fat content. You can give your dog poultry or fish. By the way, fish can provide vitamin D, which is responsible for the strength of the joints.
- Carbohydrates. They are a source of glucose for dogs. It regulates and controls the functions of everything. For example, white rice contains an easily digestible carbohydrate that gives your pet a boost of energy.
- Minerals. They promote healthy bone and tooth growth. Minerals contain foods such as fruits, vegetables, nuts, eggs, and nuts.
- Vitamins. They promote good functioning of the digestive system, kidneys, and sleep.
- Dog Water Intake. Read in our previous article why it is important.
Dog Food Recipes: Vet Approved
We thought for a long time about which of the recipes to offer our readers, and here is our selection of the best of them that your dog would like.
First, prepare all the ingredients you need: 16 ounces of vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli, carrots), 2 cups of brown or white rice, a pound of meat (turkey works best), a teaspoon of dried rosemary, and 6 cups of water. Despite the significant homemade dog food ingredients list of products, the dish would be low in calories. Therefore, if your dog has a special diet due to excess weight, then be sure to include this in the menu. So, how to cook? Put all the ingredients in a saucepan and cover with water. Cook over low heat for about 5-6 hours. The dish is enough for 12 meals. And you can store up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
Choose the meat your dog likes the most (3 ounces). Also take 1.5 cups of rice or sweet potatoes, 1 tablespoon of vegetables (carrots, broccoli, etc.), and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. All ingredients must be prepared separately. Then you just need to mix them and the dish is ready. This easy dog food recipe is for a 15-pound dog, so adjust the proportions to match your pet’s weight. Each time you can change the ingredients for others.
You would need water, ground chicken (1 lb.), potatoes (1), carrots (1), and half a cup of frozen peas. Take a large saucepan, put the meat in there and fry it for about 5-7 minutes (depending on the type of meat you choose). Then add water and other ingredients and cook until tender. This usually takes about 20 minutes. Add potatoes and carrots and cook until tender. Add water soaked in meat and vegetables and simmer for about 20 minutes. Let the dish sit for about 10 minutes and you can feed your dog. What do you think, is it healthy home-cooked dog food? Without any doubt. However, if your pet is on a low-carb diet, then you can remove the potatoes.
How to make dog food and support a balance? Try this simple recipe. Prepare the following ingredients: brown rice (1.5 cups), olive oil (1 tablespoon), ground turkey (3 pounds), chopped baby spinach (3 cups), carrots (2), shredded zucchini (1), and peas (half of a cup). Cook brown rice first. Then set it aside to cool. Take a large saucepan, pour in the olive oil, and wait for it to heat up. Add meat and fry for 3-5 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook for another 5 minutes. Break the turkey into crumbs as it cooks. Then remove the pan from the heat and allow the dish to cool completely before serving. It is one of the simplest dog food recipes.
You Google “complete homemade dog food”, and can’t find the best recipe for your dog? Look at the dog biscuits recipe. Prepare the following ingredients: a jar of pumpkin puree, eggs (2), each cup of oatmeal, brown rice flour (3 cups), peanut butter (3 tablespoons). You can also add a little cinnamon, but that’s up to you. The oven should be preheated to 350 degrees. Use a small bowl to mix the oatmeal, flour, and cinnamon in (if you choose to add to your recipe). Beat peanut butter, eggs, and pumpkin until smooth. Stir the prepared ingredients. Pour onto a floured surface and roll out the dough no more than 1/2 inch thick. Take any mold you like or a simple glass and shape your biscuits. remove excess dough. You need to bake for about 30-35 minutes. Then let the biscuits cool and your dog can feast on this DIY dog food recipe.
What Ingredients Should You Avoid?
Not all foods from the human diet are suitable for dogs. Some can even cause significant harm to the pet’s health. Among them:
- Chocolate. It disrupts the work of the circulatory system. Plus, there’s a lot of sugar in chocolate.
- Grape. It will contain a little-studied toxin that negatively affects the dog’s kidneys.
- Mushrooms. They can affect the animal’s body and cause shock. In some cases, eating mushrooms can lead to death.
- Alcohol. Some owners believe that beer won’t hurt a pet. However, it may lead to unpredictable consequences since any alcohol is toxic to the animal. You can give special beer for dogs that would not cause any harm to your pet’s health.
The best home-cooked food for dogs is well-balanced. To be honest, it takes a lot of patience. So, If you do not have it, it is better not to start. What diet does your dog have? Share in the comments. Thank you for reading the article to the end. See you soon!
- Are a dog owner is happy? Yes you are!
- You didn't like it? What we missed here?