What Does Gabapentin Do for Dogs: Dosage and Possible Side Effects for Dogs
You should not prescribe treatment for your pet on your own, it is always better to contact your veterinarian. However, this does not mean that you should not have minimal knowledge of the possible medications that may be prescribed for your dog. Therefore, today we want to tell you about Gabapentin uses for dogs. This article will be useful and interesting to you.
What Is Gabapentin for Dogs?
Veterinarians often prescribe this drug as a medicine to treat seizures or chronic pain in dogs. However, we must warn you that it is not FDA approved. So, why then do veterinarians consider it safe? They are sure that with the correct diagnosis and strict adherence to the dosage, this drug will only help and will not cause harm. Can dogs have Gabapentin? In any case, the last word is yours. If your veterinarian prescribes this drug for the dog and his/her reasoning is not convincing, you can ask for another FDA-approved drug. If you decide to give Gabapentin, then you should know everything: what it is used for, what dosage, and what side effects may be. By the way, is Gabapentin for dogs the same as for humans? Indeed, it is so. However, it’s all about the dosage. Therefore, if you have this medicine and you see that your pet is suffering from pain, then do not give it your medicine. If you give a dog a dosage intended for a human, the consequences can be dire.
What Does Gabapentin Do for Dogs?
Your veterinarian may prescribe this medication in many cases, depending on your pet’s health. However, among the main reasons for the appointment:
- Preventing seizures in your dog. This medication has anticonvulsant properties. Therefore, it is an effective and beneficial treatment for dogs that have been diagnosed with seizures. Many veterinarians prescribe this medication when others approved by the FDA have failed.
- Gabapentin for pain in dogs. It is a good analgesic. What does it mean? Gabapentin may help relieve chronic pain (from degenerative joint disease) neuropathic pain. If your dog has had surgery, your veterinarian may prescribe this medication in combination with other anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Removal of alarm. For this, the drug began to be used quite recently and is not the main method of treatment but an auxiliary one.
How long does Gabapentin last in dogs? It is a short-acting drug. Therefore, its effect lasts no more than 24 hours. However, if the effect lasts longer, then it is likely that your dog has liver or kidney problems.
What Is the Dosage of Gabapentin for Dogs?
The exact dosage can only be prescribed by your vet. However, we will provide general recommendations for use below. If you have any doubts about the correct dosage, check with your veterinarian so that he/she can explain the purpose. Moreover, if people go to several doctors to confirm the diagnosis, then you can take the dog to two veterinarians for examination, right? First of all, the dosage of the drug depends on the purpose of use. This is another reason that shows the need for a visit to a vet. You can only assume that it is with your dog but only an experienced specialist will make a diagnosis for sure.
- For chronic pain, the dose is 1.4 to 5 mg per pound of dog weight. For example, if the dog weighs 8 pounds, then the dosage is about 11.2-40 mg. Your veterinarian may adjust the dosage based on how effective it is and how your dog responds to it. The body tends to get used to the drug, so the dose may increase over time.
- For seizures, the dose is usually higher. This is usually 4.5-13.6 mg per pound of body weight. For example, if you take 8 pounds of a dog’s weight, then the dosage is 36-108.8 mg.
Remember we said that the drug works for 24 hours? In the first case, the use of one tablet will be sufficient. However, in the second case, veterinarians recommend giving the medication every 12 hours. Is Gabapentin safe for dogs? We think if you strictly follow the vet’s appointment it is safe. However, remember that a drug is available in 100 mg and 300 mg capsules. When measuring, you must be careful and attentive.
What are the Side Effects of Gabapentin for Dogs?
Among the common side effects, you may notice:
- Your dog has become less active, lethargic.
- Your dog acts like it doesn’t know what it wants. For example, shows indecision.
Among the more serious side effects, you need to contact your veterinarian immediately:
- Loss of coordination;
- Bulging eyes;
- The dog is almost always asleep.
You should remember that if even one side effect of Gabapentin in dogs appears, abrupt cessation of the drug can be harmful. Do it gradually.
To be honest, many drugs that are not FDA approved are prescribed by veterinarians and help. If you trust the experience of your specialist and strictly follow all appointments, then the drug can help your pet. By the way, read other helpful articles that relate to the health of your dog:
Thank you and see you soon!
- Are a dog owner is happy? Yes you are!
- You didn't like it? What we missed here?