Sep. 01.2021

Dog and Bee Sting: What Сan Happen to a Dog, Symptoms and Possible Treatment

Dog Stung By a Bee

In the summer, you have more opportunities to spend time with your dog outside. And that’s great because, regardless of the breed, the dog needs a walk in the fresh air. However, risks are always present, and a responsible owner must be ready for them. How do you think, can bees sting dogs? Unfortunately, yes. By the way, over the summer, there has been an increase in Google user requests for “my dog got stung by a bee”. Therefore, we decided to consider this topic and find out if it is really that dangerous. And if so, what symptoms to look out for and what treatment might help.

What Happens If a Dog Gets Stung by a Bee?

Dog Bee Sting: Symptoms

Bee stings pose a threat to your dog’s life in two ways:

  • If it suffers from allergic manifestations, then as a result of the bite, anaphylactic shock. In such a case, death may occur.
  • After the first bee, other insects can smell and fly to the smell of the poison. And if serious consequences can be avoided from one bite, then from 2 or more they would come with a probability of 99%.

Seeing your veterinarian for help is a good idea. However, a dog, bitten by a bee needs first aid. Therefore, you may be wondering: “What can I give my dog for a bee sting”.

  • It is necessary to carefully remove the sting, apply ice, or a cold compress — it would soothe the pain a little.
  • Next, you should rinse the site of the bee sting with a soda solution.
  • If possible, fix the pet so that the poison does not spread by the body, and be sure to consult with your veterinarian about further treatment.
  • Observe the dog’s behavior carefully for several days.

Dog Bee Sting: Symptoms

Dogs bitten by bees can show clinical symptoms ranging from light to life-threatening reactions. Let’s find out more about them.

Light reactions

Light reactions include swelling near the bite site, pain in the swollen area, redness and swelling near the eyes, bumps on the skin, redness near the bite site, and mild itching.

Severe reactions

Please, read about these dog bee sting reactions carefully, so you can timely help to save your pet’s life. First of all, these are allergic reactions. They can occur immediately causing life-threatening changes in the dog’s body. For example, additional symptoms may include vomiting, diarrhea, severe itching, pale gums, breathing problems, sluggish behavior, weak pulse. By the way, the latter symptom can also indicate a state of shock.

Dog Bee Sting: Treatment

What Happens If a Dog Gets Stung by a Bee

A bee sting can be dangerous, but you shouldn’t panic. If this is a harmless bite, then it goes away during the day. If treatment is still needed, then it should be done at home. However, if symptoms progress, you should immediately contact your veterinarian. So how to treat a bee sting on a dog in a case of anaphylaxis? For those animals that are truly allergic to insect bites, Benadryl is often prescribed to treat the allergic reaction. In a hospital setting, it is administered intramuscularly, which is much faster than oral administration. However, owners who take their dogs home often worry about the dosage themselves. You need to give 1 mg of the drug per 1 pound of the dog’s weight (for example, a 45-pound dog can get 45 mg of Benadryl). Another popular drug is Epi, which is often prescribed if your dog has had previous allergic reactions. This is a special syringe and needle containing a single dose of adrenaline, similar to those used for people with high allergies. You can take it with you on travel or camping trips and use it when your pet has other serious reactions. If your dog has a mild to moderate bite, then the treatment would be free or up to a maximum of $ 300. However, if this is a more serious case, then the average check amount is $ 1,500. By the way, if you don’t know anything about bee sting relief for dogs, then you can make a cold compress (wrap a few ice cubes in a towel) or give the dog cold water (especially if the bite is in the pet’s mouth) to minimize swelling, pain, or itching. However, do not overdo it, otherwise, the dog may get a cold.

Can I Prevent a Bee Sting for My Dog?

Dog Bee Sting: Treatment

It is absolutely impossible to control everything. However, it is purposeful to avoid places where risks may await your dog. Avoid bee swarms, hives, and flowers from which bees may collect pollen. As we mentioned, more than 2 bites can lead to long-term health complications for your pet. It is the timely provision of first aid and then veterinary can reduce the bite to less risk. Therefore, do not leave the dog to itself while walking in the park, as you may not notice that your pet has been bitten. Unfortunately, it is impossible to 100% protect your dog from insect bites. However, now you know how dangerous it is, and at the very least, do not allow your pet to come close to the beehives.

Dog and bee sting. It would seem that this phrase does not carry any meaning, but unfortunately, it does. This means a warning of danger. But who should be afraid — a dog or a bee? We already know the answer, and it is our four-legged friends who should beware of any encounters with bees. Even if your dog does not have an allergic reaction to insect bites, then you should not tempt fate. After all, a number of even minor symptoms can cause concern. No loving owner wants their pet to suffer, right? Has a bee ever bitten your dog? Share in the comments. Thank you for reading the article to the end. See you soon!

Do you like this article?
no 0

Are you a dog owner? Do a good job, know more about dogs, help others & earn money! We are looking forcontent writers!

This site uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.