Treats and Breath Freshener for Dogs: Why Do They Need and How to Choose the Best One
Dog oral care is very important and should be regular. In today’s article, we will not address the health problems that can arise from lack of care. We will talk about bad breath, which is often associated with plaque and calculus. However, at times, a bad smell can be associated with a serious illness, so the advice of a veterinarian would not be superfluous. A breath freshener for dogs is one of the ways to combat odorless odors. You should always consider the price, composition, and safety of use before purchasing. We want to help you understand this in more detail.
Why Does My Puppy/Dog Have a Bad Breath?
The reasons for bad breath can be different for a puppy and a dog. For example, for a puppy:
- Changing teeth can cause a bad odor. This usually occurs between the ages of 3-6 months.
- Some illnesses in puppies can lead to changes in the odor from the mouth. For example, gum disease, stomatitis, pharyngitis, etc. These diseases would be accompanied by the appearance of other changes: refusal to feed, salivation, bowel disorders. Puppies with bad breath from eating stale food would not have these symptoms.
- Congenital pathologies. For example, congenital enlargement of the esophagus, when the esophageal tube becomes a sac, where food masses are retained. In this case, in addition to the violation of feed intake, there is an unpleasant odor from the mouth.
- Another reason for bad odors is leftover baby teeth and malocclusion. These pathologies can lead to the accumulation of food debris and change the environment of the oral cavity, the appearance of plaque, an increase in the number of bacteria, and a change in bad breath.
For example, in an adult dog:
- Various dental diseases.
- Adult dogs tend to eat stale, spoiled foods that are found either in the trash can or outside. Then the dog may get bad breath.
- Foreign bodies lodged in the mouth can also be the cause.
Dog Fresh Breath Spray and Treats
We have prepared for you a list of interesting breath fresheners and treats that can help you cope with bad breath from your dog.
Greenies Dog Dental Chews Dog Treats
Greenies are one of the best dog treats for bad breath. The shape of the treat is similar to a toothbrush. Therefore, every time the pet chews, its teeth are brushed. Research has confirmed that this remedy is safe for adult dogs. The snacks would not break but would bend for more cleansing power. However, if the puppy is still in the process of changing teeth, then it is better to pick up some other treat.
Pedigree Dentastix Dental Treats for Dogs
Pedigree Dentastix is on the top list of dog treats for bad breath. These treats can replace your daily brushing. Of course, no one cancels the cleaning itself, but it would be enough to carry out it 2-3 times a week. Be sure to give them after meals. They would not only improve breathing but also help reduce plaque. By the way, Pedigree is available in three sizes. Despite the hardness of the treats, dogs with sensitive teeth can chew them too.
Arm & Hammer, Care Fresh Breath
Arm & Hammer uses natural ingredients to make meat snacks for dental care. They serve daily dental care. The main ingredient is mint. It deals best with bad odor in pets. Baking soda is also an important ingredient. With the help of it, the oral cavity becomes clean and the teeth white. The package contains 40 mint candies. However, remember that it is better to give them no more than 2 per day.
How to Choose the Best Breath Freshener for Dogs?
You have already learned about chewing foods that can improve breathing. There are also liquid supplements that can help improve breathing and reduce plaque and calculus. Usually, such additives are tasteless. However, dogs often refuse water or food to which they are added, so they are not so popular. Your veterinarian can help you find a freshener that is 100% right for your dog and would work. Or choose a freshener yourself by the main features.
- Healthy ingredients. Safety is a major requirement. Read the label carefully to make sure all ingredients are safe for your pet. If the label does not have all the information you need, do not buy this product. If your puppies are too young or pregnant, do not choose it by yourself. Ask a vet for help.
- Hypoallergenic product. If a dog has an upset stomach or health problems, make sure there are no allergies in its treatment.
- Easy to use. Each product or supplement is more beneficial when served. Therefore, we recommend that you carefully read the instructions and make sure that you are doing everything correctly. Remember that if the treatment is not stopped in time, the refreshing effect would not be achieved. Choose a product with the simplest possible description in order to follow them correctly.
- Price. Buy in bulk or large bottles, remember that treatment is long-term or continuous for best results.
- Complex event. Your vet can give you some advice on the most effective and organic dog breath freshener.
- However, effective treatments are helpful in the following ways:
- defeat harmful bacteria;
- clean teeth and tongue;
- remove tartar and plaque.
Below are some great options.
Zesty Paws Peppermint & Spearmint Dog Dental Spray
It is an effective cleanser that eliminates bad breath and maintains healthy teeth. Why is this spray so popular? The spray contains peppermint oil to help reduce bad breath, and spearmint leaves can reduce bad breath, and aloe vera can help reduce plaque build-up. Read the instructions carefully and use a spray according to the weight of your pet.
Premium Pet Dental Spray
Pet Dental is a natural breath freshener for dogs and has a wide range of uses. You can spray it directly into your dog’s water bowl and spray it on your dog’s teeth. It is designed to provide your dog with delicious food, so it would have no problem opening it. To make full use of its ingredients, you can spray it on your dog’s teeth and gums. In addition to fighting bacteria, the spray can also emit a pleasant odor. It contains extracts of mint and aloe vera.
Bluestem Oral Care
Bluestem is perfect for those dogs that don’t like a lot of water. Usually for such dogs, brushing their teeth is the real thing. This spray would come to your aid. As it freshens breath and kills bacteria on the surface of the mouth. The ingredients have vanilla and mint scents, so the dog bad breath spray is suitable for dogs with sensitive digestion. Please note that the spray is allowed for adult dogs from 2 years of age.
Products for Good Dog Breath
Adding special foods to your dog’s diet would help to reduce bad breath, develop healthy habits, and support the dog’s overall health.
- Carrots and apples have a cleansing effect, cleanse the gastrointestinal tract and enhance digestion thanks to their nutrients and fiber.
- Celery is included in the list of healthy foods because it is low in calories, rich in vitamins, minerals, and beneficial elements, and also has an antioxidant effect.
- Yogurt can control proper bacterial activity, thereby reducing bad breath in your dog.
- Adding small amounts of parsley, wheatgrass, mint, and aloe can help combat bad odors.
Dear readers, if you have chosen a breath freshener that suits your four-legged friend, then great. However, do not forget that this does not negate regular oral hygiene. Use a special dog toothbrush and toothpaste. Remember to monitor your pet’s eating habits. Foods that are solid and liquid can help freshen the breath. Probiotics should be in your dog’s diet.They help the proper functioning of digestion and the strengthening of the immune system. They also reduce bad breath. How do you deal with this problem? Share in the comments. Thank you for reading the article to the end. See you very soon on the pages of our blog!
- Are a dog owner is happy? Yes you are!
- You didn't like it? What we missed here?