All about Dachshunds: Information about Personality and Other Characteristics
How many dachshunds do you see on the streets of the city where you live? This is a common breed that we all love and has German roots. Therefore, we decided to supplement the Breeds section with the information on taxes. Enjoy reading!
Short Dachshund Information:
- Height: standard dogs are near 8-9 inches (standard) and miniature dogs are near 5-6 inches.
- Weight: standard dogs have 16-32 pounds, and miniature – 11 pounds.
- Life Span: 12-16 years.
- Coat type: harsh, straight, and close-fitting.
- Color: black, chocolate, wild boar, gray or fawn, brindle.
- Grooming Need: Low.
Dachshund Breed Information
This breed was bred in the 17th century in Germany exclusively for official purposes. That is, for hunting burrowing animals. That is why the structure of the Dachshund is ideal for pulling prey out of narrow underground passages. The Germans almost immediately became attached to the Dachshunds for their energy, hunting zeal, and diligence, loyalty, reliability, and intelligence. Dachshund had practically acquired its modern features by the end of the 18th century. Over time, the division into decorative and working specimens began, and it became necessary to establish a breed standard, which was adopted in 1870. In 2001, the International Canine Federation adopted the standard Dachshund breed.
Dachshund is the breed of dog that will conquer you at first sight with its sociability, agility, good disposition, and excellent behavior. Therefore, the Dachshund will always be popular with breeders. In addition, these creatures are compact and picky in content, and their main feature is their appearance. The Dachshund’s size can be described as small. It is a dog with an elongated muscular body, short legs, and an elongated muzzle. These dogs are agile and resilient, have good control of their body, their movements are flexible.
They have soft, slightly rounded ears, drooping down, the length of which reaches the level of the tip of the nose. The eyes are small, oval, dark brown. Marbled Dachshunds are an exception. radiating friendliness and interest. These dogs have powerful, bulging chests, muscular backs, a set of sharp white teeth, and an exceptionally fine sense of smell. This description is not typical for small breeds but perfectly characterizes the Dachshund as a hunter. The short and slightly crooked paws are strong and powerful enough, prone to jumping out of burrows. They also have firm and strong claws, with the help of which a Dachshund can dig a deep hole in a minute. Let’s find out all about Dachshunds.
Dachshunds by their nature are “intellectuals”, they get along well with the owner, understanding his desires and feeling the mood, but at the same time, they are difficult to train. These animals do not obey commands, not because of their stupidity but because of innate dignity and pride. Your pet simply does not consider it necessary to engage in stupid things, like training.
A freedom-loving and independent dog has an opinion on everything and sometimes surprises with unpredictable actions. This pet constantly needs attention from the owner, it needs to be constantly on the move: to play, jump, bite, catch up. Lack of attention causes resentment in the dog, and in some cases, its vindictiveness and aggression may appear. Therefore, such a stubborn creature must be taught and trained, which is possible thanks to patience and respect.
Dachshunds are brave and fearless. These animals bravely defend their owner and their home. And if they cannot be frightened with their appearance, then by barking, similar in ferocity to huge dogs, as if they will catch fear. In life, these dogs are intelligent and reasonable creatures, not inclined to show aggression without a reason.
Relationships between Dachshunds and children can be difficult. It is important to explain to babies how to handle such an animal so as not to cause harm. Adult pets get along well with children due to their kind Dachshund personality.
Are Dachshunds Smart
Even though dachshunds are not among the smartest dogs, they have a fairly developed intellect, which they repeatedly show to their owners. How is it shown?
- They are very patient and excellent hunters.
- Puppies can remember everything you teach them.
- If they are told the command “wait”, they will not disobey. And when you return, they will be glad to see you.
- They can identify danger and protect you.
Types of Wiener Dogs
If by size the dachshunds are divided into miniature, medium, and standard, then there is also a classification by the type of coat.
- Shorthaired has a shiny, smooth coat. Such wool makes it easier to hide underground in search of prey. And does not require special care. It is enough to buy a dog once a month.
- Long-haired coats can be wavy or straight. However, there is always long hair on the tail, body, legs, and ears. Hair grooming should be at least one or two times a week.
- The wire-haired Dachshund is coarse, and thick with a soft undercoat. This is the least common type in the United States. The coat needs to be groomed weekly.
Short legs do not pose a problem when running, but the spine is heavily stressed. With the wrong approach to training and nutrition, dachshunds are prone to problems with intervertebral discs, which can lead to paralysis. Dachshunds should not be overfed due to their tendency to overeat and become overweight. Excessive weight in a dachshund creates additional stress on the dog’s back, as well as other possible health risks for the pet. Also, follow these simple preventative guidelines:
- Coming from the street, immediately clean your shoes.
- Clean the floor regularly;
- Dachshund intelligence cannot help to avoid strange things on ground. So, always prohibit the dachshund from picking up something from the ground, as well as playing with unfamiliar dogs.
- All vaccinations should be done on time.
- Give antihelminthic drugs every three months.
Thank you for reading the article to the end. See you soon on the pages of our blog!
- Are a dog owner is happy? Yes you are!
- You didn't like it? What we missed here?