All about Bull Terriers: History, Temperament and Other Characteristics
Today we will talk about the popular breed of dogs, the Bull Terrier. By the way, this month we have already read about the Jack Russell Terrier. So, what are the characteristics of another dog in the same group? Let’s find out.
Bull Terrier Information
- Family: Terrier.
- State of origin: Great Britain.
- Date of origin: 19th century.
- Average weight: 45-65 pounds.
- Average Height: 22-23 inches.
- Life span: 11-14 years.
Bull Terriers: History
Bull Terriers were created specifically for illegal fights with other dogs. In England, this type of entertainment was especially popular, although it was banned by the authorities. In 1850, John Hicks set about creating the breed. For this, he crossed a white English Terrier and English Bulldog, and a little later – even a Dalmatian. It took John almost 12 years to create a new Bull Terrier standard. The dog was liked not only by professional owners of fighting dogs but also by many intelligent people. In particular, among the teaching staff and students of the University of Oxford, keeping a white bull terrier was prestigious and fashionable. Moreover, at first, these dogs were exclusively white. Bull Terriers with a variety of colors were officially adopted only at the beginning of the 20th century.
Bull Terrier: Characteristics
This dog has a compact outline, muscular build, proportional and well-knit. The limbs are strong, the tail and ears are now usually not cropped. The head has a non-standard egg shape. Representatives of the breed are distinguished by a very good-natured disposition. However, in conditions of illiterate socialization and all kinds of encouragement of aggression, the Bull Terrier will certainly show its instincts. According to the types of Bull Terriers, they can be categorized by color and size. Let’s find out about all characteristics of this breed in more detail.
Bull Terrier: Temperament
These dogs have an active disposition. Therefore, get ready for regular and long walks. Otherwise, the pet will feel unhappy and will find a way to have fun on its own. If you don’t want to donate your favorite items in the house, take your bull terrier to the nearest park. Favorite toys of the animal will brighten up joint leisure. It follows that the representatives of the breed feel great in a private house, where they can stretch their paws at any time and at the same time not cause indignation of others. Living in an apartment for a bull terrier is only permissible if you can provide your pet with a variety of physical exercises. For example, morning jogging. If you plan on spending most of your time at work, look at other dog breeds. Bulldogs do not tolerate loneliness. If you decide to leave your pet behind a locked door, get ready to go home and find that it is completely occupied. In addition, the neighbors’ calls will obviously not please.
Although bull terriers have strong instincts, they rarely make good observers. Dogs are not inherently aggressive towards humans, so when a stranger only comes along as a last resort, you will expect shocking barking. However, if the matter takes an unexpected and dangerous turn, of course, the dog will rush to protect the owner from the offender. The Bull Terrier gets along well with all family members, especially with children. Remember that animals don’t like it when someone teases them, provokes them, or takes away their toys. Representatives of this breed are distinguished by a developed pursuit instinct, so they can chase after a dog or cat that comes into view. For the same reason, Bull Terriers do not always get along with other animals.
Bull Terrier: Color
The standard recognizes white and colored colors.
- In white dogs, colored spots on the ears and head are allowed but not below. These are the most common animals. Marks on the body make the color no longer clean.
- Ginger is divided into two types, with a clean and dirty shade, the latter has a dark tail, muzzle, and eyebrows. There are also two-tone puppies that have areas of a different color, for example, red and black or red and white are often found. There are also tricolors, while there should be the least redhead in them, it can only appear on the face, chest, and limbs.
- Black is the rarest type, as a rule, with this coat color there are white areas on the legs and chest, therefore it is considered two-color.
Bull Terrier: Sizes
The Bull Terrier is a dog with a muscular and strong constitution, flexible in movement, and quite light in running. How big do Bull Terriers get?For ordinary Bull Terriers, a height at the withers from 22-23 inches is allowed. The weight of an adult dog is from 45 to 65 pounds, possibly more, but the animal must have a powerful constitution. The growth of Miniature Bull Terriers should not exceed 13-14 inches, and body weight should not exceed 20-23 pounds.
Bull Terrier: Facts
To summarize all information about Bull Terrier, here some interesting facts:
- These dogs are hyperactive, so they need regular physical exercise to release energy.
- The Bull Terrier is not the best choice for protection because it rarely shows aggressiveness even to strangers.
- Representatives of this breed cannot tolerate loneliness, so they will not get along with people who are often not at home.
- They can provide excellent babysitting services for children but it is recommended that you keep your eyes on pets during violent games with children.
- This dog needs early socialization and education, otherwise, it will grow uncontrollably and painfully.
- These British nobles are only suitable for experienced dog breeds who will assume leadership positions.
- In the late 1980s, the beer giant Budweiser used the Bull Terrier in a popular series of television commercials. Spuds MacKenzie is a fictional dog character who was used in a beer advertising campaign.
Bull Terrier: Health and Care
Dogs of this breed do not have specific genetic defects but beware of such diseases:
- Laryngeal hypoplasia;
- Skin rash;
The average Bull Terrier’s lifespan is 11-14 years. However, to maintain it, visit your veterinarian regularly and take proper care of your pet. The dog needs to brush once a week. The nails are usually trimmed three times a month. The pet is bathed once or twice a week. Always make sure your pet’s eyes and ears are clean. Dress your dog for a walk in cold weather.
Do you want a dog of this breed? When you know all about bull terriers, it will be easier to make a decision. See you soon!
- Are a dog owner is happy? Yes you are!
- You didn't like it? What we missed here?